Warriors fall to Hawks, slip to sixth in OUA

Jan 11, 2013 · Sports · By Mitchell Tierney

Courtesy UW Athletics

The University of Waterloo men’s hockey team did not exactly get off to the start they were hoping for when they resumed play this week after the winter holiday break.

The Warriors fell 2-1 to their Laurier rivals on Jan. 3 before failing to pick up the second point in a 4-3 shootout loss to York. With the pair of losses, Waterloo’s record sank to 9-6-3 for sixth place in the OUA.

With its win, Laurier decreased the gap between themselves and Waterloo in the OUA standings, while York solidified its fourth-place standing.

The first period began with the Warriors dominating the majority of the play. Despite this, however, it was Laurier who took the lead midway through the period.

James Marsden put the Golden Hawks up 1-0 at 13:30 of the first period, with the assists going to Frank Riddle and Benjamin Skinner.

Both teams seemed to wake up going into the second period as both the shot tally and the pace of play picked up. Laurier fired 20 shots at Warriors goalie Keaton Hartigan in this frame alone, but could not put the puck past him.

In between the pipes for Laurier, Ryan Daniels matched Hartigan save for save as he turned aside 32 of the 33 shots he faced during the game.

The only goal that Daniels allowed came at 9:02 in the second period, when Brett Mackie tied the game at one apiece with his sixth goal of the season. The goal was assisted by Andy Smith and Justin Larsen.

It took until 15:58 of the third for that deadlock to be broken, as both sides traded opportunities in the late second and early third periods. Benjamin Skinner’s first goal of the season would prove to be the difference for Laurier.

Keaton Hartigan was undoubtedly the best player for the Warriors. He registered an impressive 42 saves on the 44 shots Waterloo allowed.   

Discuss this article

Feel like writing a Letter to the Editor? We accept submissions of up to 250 words. Find out more »

Any comments made on the Imprint website do not reflect the views and/or opinions of Imprint Publications. Imprint Publications reserves the right to moderate any comments which violate our policies. For more information, please consult Policy 15, or contact us.

comments powered by Disqus