Think Pink 2012

Nov 23, 2012 · Sports · By Nicole Steadman

• Guard Denham Buchanan(#20) takes a shot in front of a sold-out crowd during Think Pink weekend.

Courtesy UW Athletics
  • Kristen Bartmann(#18) played solid defence with 18 digs in Waterloos 31 loss against McMaster.

Courtesy UW Athletics
  • The Warriors played hard, but fell short in the end as the Ryerson Rams took over, 6757.

Courtesy UW Athletics
  • Forward Kain Allicock(#22) supported Think Pink Campiagn by rocking pink socks over the weekend.

Courtesy UW Athletics
  • There were 25 hair donors, including student-athletes, staff, and fans of the Warriors. The Think Pink Campiaign has raised over $28,000 so far.

Courtesy UW Athletics

With November winding down, Think Pink events have come to a close.

The breast cancer awareness campaign has been present at the University of Waterloo since its launch in 2008. Over the past four years, $60,311.99 has been raised and donated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s Ontario chapter. The monetary goal for this year was $20,000, and amount which was unofficially surpassed as of Nov. 15.

When asked about the growing success of Think Pink, Jenny Mackay, marketing and events co–ordinator for campus recreation, explained, “We believe [it’s] because breast cancer is something that effects so many people. It is important for us all to come together and to make a change for the future.”

Events for this year’s campaign began Nov. 1 with everything leading up to the final weekend: Nov 16-18. The spin-a-thon was the first event to take place, followed by the likes of a campus rec dance show, zumba, and a variety of other activities and events.

“Each year we try to add some new activities or improve on events from the previous year,” said Mackay. “This year we added a hip–hop event at Renison [and] a silent auction.”

The main festivities of the final weekend were a variety of varsity games, where athletes, staff, and fans donated hair. This was done to raise awareness and the hair was donated to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, which makes hair into wigs for those who have lost their hair due to cancer. Enough hair was donated to make more than four wigs for the program.

Support is only growing for the cause. “[We] had 32 people involved in hair cutting or head shaving for the cause which was a huge increase from last year’s 11,” said Mackay.

Social media has played a large part in the success of the campaign. The Warriors kept up with the steadily growing usage of social media websites to promote Think Pink, including starting a #warriorscare hashtag.

“The new Twitter wall and hashtag battle [at the Nov. 17 basketball game] was very popular,” Mackay explained. The event brought friendly competition to the cause as students used a hashtag related to their residence to try and win a prize.

Although the main objective is the monetary goal of $20,000, there is something else that think Pink aims for. “Bringing the campus closer together and working towards a common goal is very important to the campaign. We see students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members all joining forces to create awareness,” Mackay noted.

While Think Pink T-shirts and bang sticks have been sold around campus, events have also expanded past campus boundaries. Boston Pizza was one of the businesses who worked to help the cause. The restaurant hosted two nights where a percentage of the sales were donated to the Warriors’ Think Pink Campaign.

Mackay credited versatility for the success of the event, “There are so many ways for people to get involved. It is not just a varsity thing or a campus rec thing; it all surrounds our theme this year that we are all Warriors and we’re coming together for a great cause to show others that Warriors care.”

Donations for the cause will be accepted online until Dec. 31. The link can be found on the Warriors website: www.gowarriorsgo.ca.

Discuss this article

Feel like writing a Letter to the Editor? We accept submissions of up to 250 words. Find out more »

Any comments made on the Imprint website do not reflect the views and/or opinions of Imprint Publications. Imprint Publications reserves the right to moderate any comments which violate our policies. For more information, please consult Policy 15, or contact us.

comments powered by Disqus