Warriors tame Ridgebacks in overtime

05:26 Nov 16, 2012 · Sports · By Mitchell Tierney

Courtesy UW Athletics
Kelly Maclean would prove to be the heroine of the night, scoring the winner in overtime against UOIT for a hard fought 2-1 win.

Whether or not it made a difference, the Waterloo Warriors women’s hockey team is now undefeated this season while wearing pink breast cancer socks.

The Warriors wore these socks as part of the University’s Think Pink initiative when they battled the UOIT Ridgebacks at Columbia Ice Fields.

Their 2–1 overtime victory was their third of the season and they improved to a record of 3–6–2, ninth in the OUA.

The opening period demonstrated the problem the Warriors have had all season; scoring goals. The Warriors currently sit last in the OUA in Goals For with only 15 on the season. Despite firing 10 shots at Ridgebacks goaltender Jessica Larabie in the first frame Waterloo could not find an opening.

But the Warriors kept pushing. Midway through the second period the opportunity they had been so desperately searching for presented itself. 

Marissa Redmond buried her team leading sixth goal of the season to put Waterloo up 1–0. The goal was assisted by Kelly MacLean, who continued to prove she is one of the best playmakers in the OUA.

The assist was her seventh of the season. 

Up 1–0, Waterloo braced for the inevitable storm the Ridgebacks were bound to present in the third period. For the majority of the period they were able to weather it, holding on to their slim lead.

But the inevitable took place with just over three minutes left in the third period. UOIT forward Jill Morillo scored her seventh goal of the season to tie the game at one and force overtime.

Had it not been for Warriors goalie Rebecca Bouwhuis the game would have never gone the extra length.  She stopped 31 of the 32 shots she faced, keeping Waterloo in it throughout.

The Warriors did let the game go to overtime, but when it came to the extra frame they took care of business quickly.

Having already assisted on the Warriors earlier tally, Kelly MacLean would score her second of the season just over a minute into overtime to clinch the victory. Nicole Ballantyne and Sarah Endicott assisted on the goal.

Discuss this article

Feel like writing a Letter to the Editor? We accept submissions of up to 250 words. Find out more »

Any comments made on the Imprint website do not reflect the views and/or opinions of Imprint Publications. Imprint Publications reserves the right to moderate any comments which violate our policies. For more information, please consult Policy 15, or contact us.

comments powered by Disqus