3-2 shootout victory over Gee-Gees

05:23 Nov 16, 2012 · Sports · By Nicole Steadman

Courtesy Simon Pham
The Warriors attacking in transition led by forward Mike Veysey (#27), forward Justin Larson( #11), and defence Ryan Molle(#3). Larson scored in the shootout to pace Waterloo 3-2 victory over Ottawa.

Men’s record now stands 6-4-0, fifth in OUA West

If there’s one thing that CIF Arena should be known for, it is the building’s weird bounces. The 29-year-old rink is continuously the home of spontaneous pucks coming from the boards. Nov. 9 was no different.

Irregular bounces were the story of the men’s hockey game vs. the Ottawa Gee-Gees.

Not only were pucks flying in different directions after hitting the boards, but the ice surface was uneven, making stick handling far more difficult than normal.

Justin Larson took all conditions into account as approached Gee-Gees goaltender, Russel Abbott in a second round shootout attempt.

He made sure to play it simple, and ended up netting a hard, low shot. Larson’s goal turned out to be the sole goal in the shootout, winning the game for the Warriors.

Justin Leclerc had a rough start, after having trouble controlling rebounds, but he eventually found his groove and stood tall in net for the Warriors.

He made a combined 30 saves throughout regulation and overtime before stopping each shooter in the shootout.

The ice conditions made the game decider easier for Leclerc as the Gee-Gees had trouble keeping the puck under control with the choppy ice conditions.

Ottawa played a very strong all around game. They were confident defensively — despite allowing 28 shots of goal through 65 minutes of play — while still playing a great game up front: an aggressive style, including plenty of shots on goal as well as exquisite forechecking.

Ottawa opened up for the scoring on a shorthanded attempt early in the game. Austin Krahenbil created a 2-on-1 for the Gee-Gees and stuck with it, getting the puck through Leclerc’s fivehole.

Joe Underwood showed that he can be both solid on the backend while proving to be an offensive threat.

After being held scoreless all of last season, Underwood scored his third and fourth goals of the season vs. the Gee-Gees. The first of which came late in the period.

The Canton native took a sharp angled shot which was deflected off of a Gee-Gee player’s leg before finding the back of the net.

Underwood was a beast defensively as well. He made strong play after strong play, including a great effort on his stomach in the second period.

He managed to slide his stick across the ice, picking off the puck in what would’ve turned into at least a 3-on-1 for the Gee-Gees.

In the dying seconds of the second frame, there was a turnover behind the Warriors net which resulted in a goal for Ottawa. Forster was given credit with Oullette and White picking up the assists.

The second period flew by, going long stretches without a whistle.

Despite having some penalty problems — including five consecutive calls through the second and third periods — the Warriors stood tall. They were perfect on the penalty kill, even managing to have some solid shorthanded chances.

Rosetown native, Andy Smith, had a very strong game. He had a chance 1-on-1 as well as a breakaway, although he wasn’t able to capitalize on either. 

The Warriors seemed to have trouble gaining momentum in the early goings of the final frame, but soon enough the tables turned. The Gee-Gees went through stretches of playing a very sloppy game.

Underwood scored his second of the night shorthanded. Abbot gave away the puck to Brett Mackie who had a nearly blind pass  over to Underwood. The defenceman fired off a beautiful wrist shot that sailed just over Abbots glove to tie the game.   

Things were still tied after regulation and overtime didn’t solve anything, so we headed to a shootout. There was no flood, so the ice conditions were poor. This fact was evident throughout the shootout which went in the Warriors favour.

Forster was the first shooter: He tried to deke Leclerc but ended up losing control. The Warriors goalie only had to stick out his leg to make the easy stop.

Mackie was next up. He did his favourite move: the lower blocker, but Abbot read him well and closed his fivehole, making the save.

Oulette struggled due to the ice conditions just as his teammate did previously. He attempted to go low blocker but lost the puck in the process.

Larson was the sole goal scorer who realized a tricky move wouldn’t go in his favour in such a situation. His simple shot was all it took to bring the Warriors ahead.

Leclerc made the final save on Gee-Gees forward, Donovan, to end the shootout.

Game 2

Such luck couldn’t be found the following night. The Warriors finished off their streak of cross division play with a game versus the Carleton Ravens.

The Warriors couldn’t get past the Ravens solid defence, only managing to get 15 shots on goal while Keagan Hartigan kept Waterloo in the game, making 27 saves.

The Warriors’ goaltender stunned the Ravens, making save after save; many seemed as if they would’ve been impossible to stop.

Hartigan showed his specialty: making several astonishing glove saves, some of which had the crowd of onlookers buzzing.

The lack of offence hurt the Warriors as they fell 3-1 to the solid Carleton Ravens. The Ravens play a very effective style of defence, only allowing an average of 20.7 shots per game on average.

Merely twice this season, have they allowed over 25 shots on goal in a game.

In a matchup vs. UQTR the Ravens only allowed 12 shots on goal through 60 minutes of play.

Physicality was evident in this Saturday night matchup. There was a combined 13 minor penalties called and many non-calls which would have easily added to this tally.

The Ravens opened up the scoring late in the first period on a power play. Former Owen Sound Attack, Matt Stanisz, fired a shot from the point which was picked up by forward, Andrew Glass. He passed it over to Joey West who fired it top shelf past Hartigan.

Penalties continued to hurt the Warriors throughout the game. Defenceman Ryan Molle was in the penalty box for his first of two hooking calls on the night when Carleton added to their lead.

Hartigan made the original save, but Ryan Berard rushed to the net picking up the rebound and putting it in over Hartigan’s shoulder.  

The Ravens ran into penalty trouble themselves as the Warriors were given a 42 second two-man advantage. Larson cut Carleton’s lead in half as he scored from deep in the Raven’s zone.

The Warriors looked to head into the final frame on a high but they got ahead of themselves as Carleton found the back of the net with 12 seconds left in the period.

After making the first save, Hartigan was posed to the left of the net as the rebound sat in front.

Joe Underwood came in to help cover the empty side of the net, but failed to do so as Ryan MacLean scored his first of the season into the vacant half of the net.

Carleton held their ground with their shutdown defence, cruising to a 3–1 win.

After starting the season with a hot power play, these statistics have dwindled. Waterloo went 1-for-12 on the man-advantage this weekend.

The team hasn’t dropped two straight games this season, going 4–0 following a loss. The Warriors look to bounce back this weekend and continue this streak. 

Discuss this article

Feel like writing a Letter to the Editor? We accept submissions of up to 250 words. Find out more »

Any comments made on the Imprint website do not reflect the views and/or opinions of Imprint Publications. Imprint Publications reserves the right to moderate any comments which violate our policies. For more information, please consult Policy 15, or contact us.

comments powered by Disqus